Can you make any connections between a spider and an octopus?
I bet you can't guess the similarities between the two!
Here's another mental image that I had to put on canva.
As you might discover, there are several occurences of spiders in my paintings.
In fact, spiders have been omnipresent since my early childhood in my dreams and hallucinations. Therefore, I have learned to appreciate them, while searching to understand it's symbolic purpose and meaning.
A sudden mental spark dictated this image.
Comparison between spider and octopus
This idea of the image triggered the realization that the spider and octopus are quite complementary.
- An octopus has 8 arms, a spider has 8 legs.
- An octopus lives in the ocean, a spider is terrestrial.
- They are both described as adaptable and blend to their environment.
I searched on the different symbolic meanings of both. Here is what I found for each one.
The spider symbolizes:
- Assimilation of negative experiences and use them for gain
- one's fears
- strong feminine energy
- an invitation to become more receptive and intuitive, and rely on your unique gifts to get you ahead in life
The octopus symbolizes:
- illusion, can avoid the dangers as it creates an illusion by mimicing other animals, changing color to blend in with the surroundings and shooting black ink to disappear amid the distraction
The portrait of their interaction
The spider is now observing the octopus into the water bubble, while the octopus is looking up to the spider.
Why? I'm not sure. Just let your mind go wild on this one! Some food for self-reflection.
Maybe the spider was avoiding a perceived danger and realizes it while looking in the bubble. It might be it's obstacle to really go ahead in life and expand it's potential.
Let me know what this painting evokes for you in the comments!